Monday, November 16, 2015

"InLight, you light up my life..."

Corny and obvious, but true – every year I don’t even realize how much I’m looking forward to this cool little art event until I see the dates for it one or two weeks before.

InLight Richmond is a free annual art event hosted by 1708 Gallery, and 2015 was their 8th year! Yaaaaaaay *many claps*  The event is an exhibition of light-based art and performances that is held outside (mostly, sometimes locations have indoor areas for one or two pieces) at a different location each year.  This year it was held on November 13th and 14th at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

And this was the first year they held the event over not one but TWO nights!  And I took full advantage since I had been sick all week and (of course) the temperature dropped the day of InLight (after being in the 70’s the day before).  So figuring that most people didn’t know it was happening on a 2nd night this year, I skipped it Friday and waited for Saturday with the hope that the crowds would be minimal.

They were not.
(You're not allowed on the grass...dumb kids...)
Which is good and bad IMO.  At least this event is appreciated.  Although I’m pretty sure a lot of people only came out this year because the VMFA is such a convenient location, for college kids and families alike.  In the past, the locations that have hosted InLight include Cary Street down in Shockoe Bottom between S. 12th and 14th Streets, and Monroe Park at 620 W. Main Street.   I went both of those years and it didn’t seem nearly as crowded as this year (although I must add that last year’s event in Monroe Park happened to fall on an especially freezing night).

(For a peak at InLight’s past, click here.)

But they shut down Grove Avenue around the museum for seemingly no reason other than wanting people to feel comfortable crossing the street. 
 I personally had no problem parking (even though if I’d been at home I could’ve easily walked), but a lot of my friends said it was a nightmare.  I believe them.

Crowds were gathered at the entrance to the sculpture garden because of tours going through the Confederate church, and that set the precedent for any other plot of land throughout the rest of InLight.  
Crowds everywhere, single file lines to see exhibits, people standing in the middle of walkways like idiots (always), children running loose (which how is that a good idea at night in a crowded public area?), and just a whole lot of BLAH.  I don’t like people; I’m there for the cool light sculptures.
And cool they were!  The exhibit included pieces that projected bodies onto sand, made you look through a giant blue pipe, let you see sound transferred into light, and even one added late to honor the people of Paris.
(For a full list of artists from this year’s InLight, clickhere.

These art presentations are so meaningful to me because they are actually meant to stir something in you (at least a lot of them are).  They’re meant to provoke either a feeling or a thought process or a question, but they’re not meant just to be blinking pretty lights some student through together to get a passing grade in a class (like I said, at least a lot of them).

If you haven’t been to InLight Richmond yet, please consider checking it out next year.  Even with the crowds, if you know you’re there to take your time and enjoy yourself, you will.  Alone or with friends (because honestly I debated going alone this year, if I had to….and I was totally fine with that idea).  Keep your eyes peeled and find out more information here.


And if you’re an artist or anyone interested in applying to be a part of InLight next year, click here

But without further delay, here are my pretty pictures from InLight this weekend :) ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment