Monday, April 28, 2014

My RVA Fashion Week 2014: Part 6 Designer Show Fitting

Sunday April 13th, 2014

For this MANDATORY meeting (which was the first time that word had been used, and it was used several times in all CAPS) models and designers met at Mix Gallery at 12 W. Broad Street.  This was our first 85 degree day of the year. Hooray!  But I was waiting in front of wall of windows in the sun with very little AC for over an hour. Boooo.

This is when we started to get solid information as to when the shows would take place, when the fittings would be, and when we would know what shows we would be in.  Then all the designers (minus two who couldn’t make it and had a whoooole fitting set up just for them the following weekend, ugh for the models) had models come over to try on one piece each that they would be wearing in the Designer Show on Friday May 2nd.

Some designers had already seen the models at a previous workshop and picked specific ones they wanted.  But they still needed extra models, and some designers were just seeing us for the first time and picking all their models at once.  I felt like I was back in elementary, feeling scared that I was going to be picked last for dodge ball.  I wasn’t picked last…but I was pretty damn close lol.  I was like, “What’s wrong with me?! Why?!”

But I ended up going to a designer named Nijole, and I actually really like the dress she ended up putting me in.  That doesn’t usually happen for me.  In the past I’ve always seen what other people were put in and thought how much I’d love to wear it (and sometimes that I would look better in it – I don’t care if that sounds bratty!  I got long legs and sometimes they do more justice to short skirts, dresses, etc. than people with short legs. Sorry I’m not sorry!).  I know it’s “the grass is always greener” stuff, but that’s what makes it so nice that this time I’m totally content with the option that was assigned to me.  I just hope they don’t change it last minute lol Bc that’s definitely happened to me, too.

But after trying on the dress (with the assistance of two nice girls who were also in the tiny bathroom with me while we all changed), I went to show the designer, she said she’d just have to make some small easy alterations, and I was good to get changed back into street clothes and get outta there!  This meeting took about an hour instead of the two, and was the most fun meeting (IMO) so far.  And finally started to get excited about being in the shows!  HooRAY! (Oh, and I also booked a hair modeling gig by going to this meeting! Double HooRAY!)

No comments:

Post a Comment