Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My RVA Fashion Week 2014: Part 5 Third Model Workshop

Sunday March 9th, 2014

I missed the 2nd model workshop bc it was my birthday and had dinner with my family, so now I have to skip ahead to the 3rd model workshop.

This workshop took place at Glave Kocen Gallery at 1620 W. Main St. at 3:00 p.m.  We were told ahead of time to wear sneakers but bring our heels.  I read this as “bring comfortable shoes that at least resemble sneakers”.  I just figured we’d be doing some sort of exercise to help our walk techniques.  In actuality, I just had the exercise part right.

We were in for a “Model Bootcamp”.  And like a genius, I wore my most fashionable but most uncomfortable pair of sneakers- floral old-school high tops that had about an inch of height in the heel. Lame!  But luckily the “workout” was more like an easy warm up for any fitness class I’ve ever been in.  Plus I was still nursing a knee injury I’d been trying to heal for months, so I got to pass on certain exercises.  While I failed to even work up a sweat, it did get my heart rate up and it was hilarious to see all the models (in our white t-shirts/tank tops and black leggings or jeans) jumping around and running in place in this narrow gallery space.  I was also surprised to hear the amount of groans during the workout, making it sound like a lot of these models didn’t actually work out. Like ever. Damn youngins.
(Photo courtesy of Jimmy Budd)

Then it was time for walk practice, and this time a veteran of New York Fashion Week came down to give each of us pointers on our walks.  I was around the 4th person to go bc I was in a rush to get out of there (had a shoot the next day in DC and still needed to finalize some things).  Unforunately, the one time we had a legit person there who could give me good, valuable advice, my knee injury affected my walk so much that I couldn’t full extend my left leg or put too much pressure on it.  Apparently this made my walk look like I was just “going to the grocery store”.  I was the first person who had to go back and repeat the walk 2 or 3 times.  But on the plus side, I was told that my facial expression and poses were great! So yay! 

Then that was it for me and I was out of there while the rest of the models waited in line for their turn.  Man, I hope my knee is 100% healed before Fashion Week…nervousneeeeeess….

No comments:

Post a Comment