Monday, April 21, 2014

My RVA Fashion Week 2014: Part 4 First Model Workshop


Sunday Feb. 9th, 2014



This was our official first “workshop” where we were supposed to get critiques and suggestions on our walks, get more solid information about the RVA FW show schedule, and try to iron out some more wrinkles (I guess that was more of a goal for board members).  This was also the time for people who missed the first workshop to get their official RVA Fashion Week model headshots taken (by Mr. Jc Vera).

Once again, we all met at the First National Apartments on Main St. in the middle of the city.  At first we were told that since no RVA Fashion Week “seasoned vets”, or experts I guess, were able to make it to this meeting bc it was such short notice (we were told about it probably around 2 weeks prior to the date), this would be a short meeting and more informational than anything else. WRONG.

They went over some quick bullet points about what their plan was for hosting more workshops and how they would communicate with us in the future (by e-mail but also by a Facebook group that all models needed to join), but they didn’t really have any new or more definite information about the fittings or shows.
Then they decided they were going to call us over in groups to walk.  All the guys went at one time since there were about 10 of them. 

Then they called about 10 girls at a time in alphabetical order.  This took FOREVER.  It involved a lot of sitting around, which was nice for getting to know more people.  Then after we were all done, they read out a list of names of people they wanted to stay and the rest could go home.  My name was called.  At first I thought this could be a good thing, but no, I quickly figured out these were people they thought needed extra help on their walk.

The original time slot for this workshop was 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.  I left probably at 7:00 and there were still people there that had to wait even longer.  However, I did finally get some good constructive criticism…about not swinging my arms so much, which I was told TO do during my audition.  Apparently I’m having trouble finding the happy medium.  But yay, at least I’m learning!  But having to stay that late just to be told “Don’t swing your arms so much”, then walk one more time and have them be like “There ya go! You can leave” was a little eye-roll inducing.  But still, at least I finally knew what they expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment