Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Obama Speaks at the Carillon



History was made in Richmond this past election.  On October 25th, 2012, President Obama came to Richmond during his whirlwind two-day, six-state “American Forward!” tour.  Tickets were free, which meant one thing:  pandemonium.  Now it was relatively sedate pandemonium, but pandemonium nonetheless. 

It happened to be a beautiful day- sunny with temperatures hanging out in the lower 60’s during the early morning and eventually climbing into the low-to-mid 80’s.  The president was due to start speaking at 11:00 a.m., so it was requested that all attendees arrive by 9:00 a.m.   However, by 11:00 the president had not even boarded the plane to leave Florida where he had just given another speech.  By the time the president took the stage, it was just after 1:00 p.m. and it felt close to 90 in the middle of roughly 15,000 people.  And all that was provided for attendees (who waited around six hours to hear the President talk for 20 minutes) were free bottles of water.  But then again, what did anyone expect? 

My experience was relatively…blah, mediocre, boring even...pretty much what I expected haha.  (Don’t get me wrong, it’s exciting to see our President speak in person, but everyone knows it’s also a hassle.)  Since everyone was told to arrive by 9:00 a.m. (two hours before Obama would supposedly start speaking) and that if you did not arrive by that time you may not get in, I set out alone on my adventure around 7:45 a.m.  Being born and raised in the city and well aware of the area surrounding the Carillon, I thought of some good places I could park.  However, when it came time to choose which highway exit to take, I decided to be daring and take one relatively close to Byrd Park.  Bad idea.  Most of my morning commute was spent waiting in a single file line going past John B. Cary Elementary School, just to end up parking near the area I had originally had in mind (near Boulevard and Cary St., so no real complaints).  But the route event organizers forced attendees to walk made it quite a trek to a single-file line that was an even longer trek (or at least that’s what it felt like).  To say it was a mile long would be close to accurate haha.  And then after waiting in the single file line, we then waited in a cluster f***, shoulder-to-shoulder, 10 person wide mass.  Luckily this is when I ran into some friends.  Then we just got to hang out while slowly inching towards security.  Unfortunately we saw one many have to be carried out on a gurney right before reaching the security tent (but he was conscious and seemed alright).  Security pretty much continued the cluster f*** and was highly unorganized, but we got through and then it was pretty much clear sailing…until our friend told us he was checking Twitter and the president was still speaking in Florida despite being due to take the stage in about 20 minutes.  We could’ve sat on the hills surrounding the main lawn, or some bleachers set up at the very back of lawn, but we chose to get as close as we could and go to the middle of the lawn.  It was a pretty good spot, not gonna lie.  But by 11:45/noon, when it was starting to get hot and we couldn’t feel a breeze anymore, people started to get a little cranky.  I don’t think I’ve ever been in such a crowded place before (and hope I never am again! Haha).  And after awhile no one could text or check any websites because the networks were so jammed with everyone turning to their phones to entertain them.  I felt so bad for the people who lived nearby that couldn’t use their internet (which I saw posts about later). 

Long story short, it was an experience that I’m glad I was a part of…but I don’t think I’ll be seeing any presidents speak in Richmond in the future unless I’m invited/hooked up with some VIP access J







 







 (Me saying, "Obama where you at?!")

No comments:

Post a Comment