Tuesday, October 27, 2015

XL102's Big Field Day 2015

On May 2nd 2015, XL102 (Richmond's now only local rock station) helped deliver a much needed shot of good music in the spring air to the people of Richmond.  Held at Richmond International Raceway, the "festival" boasted headliners Incubus, Passion Pit, Robert DeLong and Dirty Heads, as well as local favorites like J. Roddy Walston and The Business.
The weather was perfect, there was some effort put into the layout and some "sculptures" I guess, there was the run-of-the-mill fair food (cheesesteaks, pizza, all fried everything), BEER, a kid's play area and a surprisingly ample amount of porta-potties.  I actually have nothing bad to say about this experience.
I'd seen Incubus and Passion Pit perform live before (twice for Incubus, four times for Passion Pit) so I was content to lay low for those performances.  Meaning, I was content to either be in the back of the crowd, or leave my group when I got super drunk and swept up in the moment for "Dig" (YEP and it was amazing!).
 (Got more videos than pics of Passion Pit - see bottom of post)
My friends and I also really liked that after we got food, there was an abundance of areas to sit in the grass to eat and still see the stage.  ...And it was nice to be able to sit and drink, let's be real.  Then we could hop up and run over to the stage for (the one song I knew by) Robert DeLong, and I could jump around like an idiot for Dirty Heads' "Sound of Change" (man I luv that song).
Anyway, it was a great day.  We took Uber there and back so we were drinking responsibly (no joke kids!)
 (The back seat was cozy and excited to get tipsy safely!)
And my only regret is that we took our time getting there because we thought it wasn't going to be as fun as it was.  I haven't heard any news about a line-up or even a plan to do it again next year, but I hope they do. I hope it comes back bigger and better (or hell, it could stay the same and I'd be content) and I get to make up for lost time this year!  Please, XL102! Pleeeeaaaaase!
For a recap of last year's Big Field Day, click here!  And for next year's Big Field Day plans, keep your eyes peeled and bug XL102 about how badly they need to get on it!  RVA needs and deserves good rock bands!
WARNING:  I am TERRIBLE at taking videos at concerts.  What can I say, I'm there and loving the moment and not thinking about, "Hey, will this be reproduced well later?"  So here's what I could manage :) Don't judge me.  Don't hate! Appreciate!
Robert DeLong - "My Sweet Summer"

Passion Pit - "Little Secrets"

Passion Pit - "Take a Walk"

Incubus - "Dig"

Incubus - "Pardon Me"

No comments:

Post a Comment