Friday, June 15, 2012

Get your Rox off...

How exciting!  I finally had another new restaurant to write about! But then sat on this blog for weeks and weeks and am just getting around to posting it now.
After realizing that Element, a bar in Shockoe Bottom on 18th Street known for hosting live music (mostly bands from the local rock scene), had shut down, I was able to actually fathom the idea that a new restaurant had opened there. 
On the Rox opened up months ago (you know, when I originally intended to post this blog) under owner Erik Brockdorff.  If you haven’t been there by now, you’re behind the times my friend (you’ve been living under a rock? J Too corny?).
Instead of bar tables and booths against the exposed brick walls, now there are (relatively standard) black dining room tables spread out across the main floor.  They made good use of the space, fitting as many tables as possible into the space up front near the floor-to-ceiling windows.  I was there with a large group (about 20 people) for a birthday party and there were able to accommodate us comfortable and (as far as I know) easily.
While the stage that was in front of the main bar is no more, the one in the back behind closed doors remains – but is also the smoking area (heads up non-smokers) and special event area.
I guess I was still stuck in the Element mind set by the time I looked at the menu, because I found it to be very surprising!  It’s not very big, but what they have is impressive.
Now it has been awhile since I first went there, and I don’t exactly have the best memory (nor can I find a full menu on-line) so I can’t tell you exactly what everyone got.  One of my friends opted for an interesting seafood concoction, while another friend got what we called “the heart attack sandwich”, and both said their dishes were really good.
I opted for the boring healthy option, and got the trout which came served over brussel sprouts and…  Now, I had only had brussel sprouts twice before:  once at Acacia and once at my apartment.  Obviously, Acacia sets the bar high and convinced that I liked brussel sprouts and everyone else who bashed them were crazy (yep, tried ‘em for the first time at the ripe old age of 26).  The home-cooked sprouts…maaade me rethink my previous assessment.  So that’s my scale for critiquing On the Rox’s attempt at the controversial veggie, and I must say, they were pretty close to Acacia quality.  I think what made me not a huge fan is how many of them there were – the entire bottom of this huge bowl/plate was just filled with ‘em!  Just enough so that the slab of trout could fit on top without passing the brim of the dish.
It also has what has been called the best happy hour in Richmond.  And rightfully so, since it’s half off EVERYTHING…except entrees.  But that means all appetizers and other food as well as drinks – All. Half. Off.  Check it out Tuesday through Sunday from 3:00 to 7:00 pm at 119 N.18th Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment