Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My RVA Fashion Week 2014: Part 7 Show Fittings

Wednesday April 23rd, 2014
Tour of Carytown Boutiques Show

I met with employees Ashby and Trish at Glassboat (3226 W. Cary St.) on my lunch break.
I was the first model there, thanks to working full time and getting e-mails about what shows I was in and when the fittings were very last minute.   They weren’t really prepared, but it still only took about 30-45 minutes.  I tried on form fitting Religion dress ($174) with a Totally Brill by Amy Brill poncho ($248).   

Then what took the most time was picking out the jewelry.  LOTS of jewelry.  By various designers and artists, but I’m not sure what final choices were or how much they cost.  I saw the price tags later on the shows, but with all the chaos that goes on during show time I had no chance of documenting prices and designer names.  And for this show, I’d be using my own shoes.  They don’t have any of their clothes posted on-line (that I could find) but for more information on the store you can check out their website.

Then for my 2nd fitting of that day, I hopped over to Fab’rik (3004 A W. Cary St.) where I met with Blane.  I tried on a halter dress ($56) with a gold necklace ($36) and some decently high platform wedges.  

This would ultimately be my outfit after a quick change in shoes to the multi buckle wedge ($54) .  
(Picture from Fab'rik website)

However, I also tried on two pairs of crazy comfortable wide legged pants (the Harrison Pant in Green for $58 and another one for $46) with a jade cropped top...but then accidentally deleted all the pics of me trying these things on!
(Picture from Fab'rik website)

I also tried on a very “Madmen” (IMO) retro patterned dress with keyhole sleeves called the long sleeve shift dress ($62).
 (So I don't look quite as good as the model from the Fab'rik site, but oh well)

And then that was it for me for that day!  Even though it's just trying on clothes, there's something about getting these fittings done that just made me feel so damn productive haha.


Thursday April 24th, 2014
Jewelry Showcase and Finale Show

This was an interesting day because I was counting on the first fitting being REALLY quick so I could go pick up my mom and take her to Wicked for her birthday, and I was counting on the second fitting to be ok with me getting there really close to the end of the designated time because of volleyball. Busy day.

For the first fitting of the day, I headed over to NewNormal Apparel Co. (212 E. Clay St. 1B).  I met with Walker and she was just the nicest person.  And as I’d hoped, the fitting went by quickly.  In fact, it was the fastest fitting I’ve had to date.  Since this is clothing for the jewelry show, the clothing isn’t the main focus for the show and this allowed for Walker to only have two possible outfits ready that were both very simple.  She gave me a cropped black tank top and a high-waist long black skirt and said we’d try the other outfit if that didn’t look good. But guess what? It DID look good. Like, really good. Like, I might go back and buy it after the show really good.  Since these are all original New Normal pieces (made in the back of their store) there weren’t any price tags on the clothes I tried on.  I’ll figure out the prices soon enough (and you can find the prices for their other clothing items on their website).

For the second fitting I headed over to South Moon Under in Short Pump Town Centre for the finale show fitting.  I had three girls helping me out there, so I’m sorry to all of them for forgetting their names! (I was frazzled after volleyball and we were all rushing since they were closing within 30 min of my arrival lol)  They gave me three outfits to try on.  The first was a very loose (HELLO sideboob) Winston White ‘Daria’ Desert Rose Cropped Tank Top ($112) paired with blue and white patterned Walter High-Waist Baroque PrintShorts ($76).  The shorts were meant to be high-waisted, but I couldn’t tell bc it turns out the whole outfit (despite being in my sizes) was too big for me and we scrapped it.  

 (Pictures from South Moon Under website)

Then I tried on a black Zoa Drawstring Jumpsuit ($138) and never made it to the third outfit.  It looked great.  So we found some Steve Madden 'Nellie' Ankle Wrap Wedges ($79.95), a Chevron Braided Stretch Belt ($26), some jewelry (including a necklace and ring, both of which aren't on the website), and a bag (which looked like a metallic version of their Street Level Reversible Tote Bag $68) and I was all done!
 (I think the bag and accessories from my ensemble were better than the South Moon Under site's)


These fittings were all rather painless, surprisingly.  The staff at all the stores were so nice and helpful.  They made the fittings all the more fun.  They (the fittings) were the final push I needed to get all out PUMPED for Fashion Week to start :)

No comments:

Post a Comment