Sunday, September 19, 2010

Deftones at the National



As I looked around the sea of X-handed teenagers and drunken 20-somethings just waiting to be 1-man mosh pits, I almost wondered what I was doing there.  Then I remembered:  I’m seeing the fucking Deftones! (For the first time might I add.)
But dare I ask, was I too old to be going to a Deftones concert?
I can still head bang and all that (maybe not as hard as I used to, but sufficiently).  But when there’s a bunch of assholes around that are acting like they’re drunk at a concert for the first time and bumping into/jumping onto/elbowing in the head/pushing/stomping on the people, I suddenly feel old.
But Chino still has the angst of his younger successors in his stage presence.  In fact, he took it out on an unsuspecting microphone several times during his second song.
The whole show had a ridiculous amount of energy, but I just wish it had been used more on their older songs.  They played a few like “Knife Party” and “7 Words”, but stuck mostly to new songs, which I don’t know the names of.
But all-in-all, it was definitely an excellent live show that I’m glad I finally got to see!




***Note:  I've tried to upload 2 videos but Blogger keeps saying there's an error during uploading.  So, hopefully videos coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment